Cold Brew & Caramel Sauce

16 September 2017

I'm not a fan of hot drinks, there are only two things that I can stand to drink warm- herbal tea and cider. So on the mornings when I need a caffeine wake up (which has been most mornings over the past 7.5 months) I will drink an iced coffee. Now, I can't just drink black coffee- it has to be flavored. I made this caramel sauce to top a batch of pumpkin muffins last weekend and I just happened to be drinking my coffee and thought (light bulb moment) maybe I should put some of this in my drink and WOW it was amazing. Literally, I thought I heard angels singing and the heavens opened up. So naturally, I thought I should share this sweet recipe and idea with you all.

First of all, I have a few homemade 'Cold Brew' recipes pinned to try but until I master that my favorite brand to buy is STōK. The low and slow un-sweet black cold brew to be exact. 

Caramel Recipe:
1½ cups Sugar
⅓ cup Water
6 Tablespoons Butter
1 cup Heavy Cream

In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat sugar and water over medium-high heat, whisking constantly to dissolve sugar. Once the mixture reaches a boil, stop whisking. Watch carefully as it transitions from white to light amber color. This is an important step to ensure that it doesn't burn. Once the mixture reaches a medium amber color, add butter and whisk until butter is melted. If you own a candy thermometer, it usually turns the perfect amber color at approximately 250 degrees.
Once it's melted, immediately remove the pan from heat. Wait 10 seconds and then add heavy cream. Whisk well to combine until glossy and smooth. Allow caramel to cool for several minutes and then place in jar and place in the refrigerator to cool.
{side note: mine never turned the perfect amber color but it still tastes amazing!}




Once the caramel sauce is made then just mix up your iced coffee to your personal liking. For me, I usually top ice with 6 oz of cold brew, 1-2 tsp of caramel sauce and 1 oz heavy cream (shameless plug: support those dairy farmers) and my favorite stainless steel straws. You can find them here. ENJOY!

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Three Girls and a Farm. Design by FCD.