Red, White & Blue Eats

03 July 2017

Since tomorrow is the Fourth of July I thought I would share with you two new recipes that I've recently tried out that play on the red, white and blue theme.

First of all, I love watermelon and I also enjoy a good mojito. This fruit salad gives you the best of both worlds while still being acceptable for the whole family, littles and non-drinkers! I grow the 'mojito mint' variety in my garden so it gives this salad an extra punch but any mint will suffice. The flavors are bright and fresh! Tip: add feta if you're really adventurous because it won't disappoint!


Watermelon Mojito Fruit Salad
4 cups chopped watermelon
1lb strawberries, chopped
6oz raspberries
6oz blueberries
1/4 cup packed mint, chopped 
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
3 Tablespoons powdered sugar

Add watermelon, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, and mint in a large bowl. Stir together lime juice and powdered sugar in a small bowl then pour over fruit and berries. Gently toss with a spatula then let sit in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes before serving to allow the natural juices in the fruit to start coming out.

[adapted from Iowa Girl eats]



Secondly, I love angel food cake! It's so light and fluffy. I pinned a recipe so I can try and make it myself but for the time being I've been just picking one up from our local bakery when I need it. This recipe is also bright and full of flavor and you can turn it into a Fourth of July dessert by adding red and blue berries. I had strawberries and blueberries on hand and a couple frozen local black raspberries from two weeks ago. Everyone went nuts over this cake! 


Angel Lush with Pineapple Whip & Berries
1- 20 oz can Crushed Pineapple, undrained
1 pkg. (3.4 oz.) instant vanilla pudding
1 cup thawed whipped topping
1 round angel food cake, cut into 3 layers
 as desired seasonal berries

Mix pineapple and dry pudding mix in medium bowl. 
Gently stir in whipped topping.
Stack cake layers on plate, spreading pudding mixture between layers and on top of cake.
Refrigerate 1 hour or until ready to serve. 
Garnish with your favorite seasonal berries.

[adapted from Dole]

Have a happy, safe & delicious 4th of July everyone!

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Three Girls and a Farm. Design by FCD.