3 Classic Overnight Oats Recipes

31 January 2019


This past November I made a commitment to myself to try and be more mindful and intentional with my food. I'm usually the last one to eat in the morning (10 am- let's be real) and it's usually whatever I can get my hands on- healthy or not. I started working out regularly. I started meal planning with better intention and looking into ways to lighten up the use of carbs. I'm a carb lover. I could kiss them. Warm bread, gooey cheese, delicious white potatoes of any variety, sandwiches, tacos, ice cream, butter... I mean, the list is endless. But-- breakfast is a hard one for me. I either forget to eat it altogether and it's almost lunch until I remember or I end up just grabbing a bagel. I mean, how can you say no to an everything bagel toasted with a healthy smear of cream cheese?! How?


Well, one way that I've been able to say no to the delicious doughy bagel is with overnight oats. I'm not new to them. I knew what they were and I've made them in the past. Like, in 2011 when they were all the rage and everyone was whipping them up. But, I've been lazy. And constructing them up takes mild to morderate effort-- an extra effort that I don't always have left at night before bed when all I want to do is-- go to bed. But, I'm telling you, friends, when they are pre-made and waiting for me in the morning after my workout I am so happy. I'm happy that I took the extra few minutes the night before to whip them up. 

So friends, here are 3 of my favorite recipes. They add-ins are all customizable and super easy to make. I like to use my leftover mason jars from canning but you can put them in anything.

The Basic Recipe:
1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/2 cup (heaping) rolled oats
2/3 cup whole milk
1 tablespoon chia seeds or ground flax meal
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extractPinch of salt
0-2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- mix that all together, substitue for your personal preferences & store covered in the fridge overnight -



Chocolate Peanut Butter Recipe:
1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/2 cup (heaping) rolled oats
2/3 cup whole milk 1 tablespoon chia seeds or ground flaxmeal 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract 2 tablespoons natural peanut butter 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder Pinch of salt 0-2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup

[mix that all together, substitue for your personal preferences & store covered in the fridge overnight.]


Banana Chocolate Chip Recipe:
1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/2 cup (heaping) rolled oats
2/3 cup whole milk
1 tablespoon chia seeds or ground flax meal
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
0-2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
1/2 ripe banana, chopped or mashed
2 tablespoons chocolate chips

[mix that all together, substitue for your personal preferences & store covered in the fridge overnight.]



Strawberry Cheesecake Recipe:
1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/2 cup (heaping) rolled oats
2/3 cup whole milk
1 tablespoon chia seeds or ground flax meal
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
0-2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
1/4 cup chopped fresh strawberries
3 tablespoons softened cream cheese
Zest and juice of 1/2 lemon

[mix that all together, substitue for your personal preferences & store covered in the fridge overnight.]


[[Extra Notes]]

If you don't care for Greek yogurt then regular plain yogurt will work, too, although your end result will be a bit thinner. 

If you aren’t a fan of yogurt at all, you can leave it out all together, double the chia and flax, and add an extra 1/3 cup of milk. 

Your final result won’t be as creamy or pudding-like, but it’ll still be good.




Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Three Girls and a Farm. Design by FCD.