5 Simple Things to Care for Yourself

25 August 2017


Often, I need to remind myself to slow down, tune into my surroundings, enjoy the simple things in life, declutter my mind and 'take care of myself'. A phrase we often use without giving it much thought but are we really, mothers, are we really taking care of ourselves? Are we taking the time to focus on our own health, joyfulness, and sanity as much as we center our attention on our loved ones? I think not. And I would bet you all of the dirty diapers that I’m not alone. And moms, our wishes are simple, some mothers wish for just one night of uninterrupted sleep, going to the bathroom alone, or enjoying a book or a movie or any grown up activity in peace. These are simple wishes but they are usually over looked because we are the doers, the carers, and it's not ourselves we are serving. Before having my girls if I wanted to escape and get my feelings in check I would throw in some earbuds and get swept up in a playlist of songs or read. Now I usually just hide in a corner and eat a half a package of Brownie Brittle and pray to God that no one finds me. So I've been brainstorming a few simple ideas and ways I can bring myself some inner peace when I do get the rare chance to draw a bubble bath or forgo chores during nap time. Why is this important? Because when you’re happy... everyone’s happy, the whole family.



1. | Journaling -- the 52 Lists for Happiness Weekly Journal by Moorea Seal to be exact. I picked up this book on a trip to Chicago and I love it, I haven't been the best at remembering to take the time to complete the weekly lists every single week but it's not a hard goal to strive for. It was the prettiest cover {and velvet page marker} and different thought-provoking lists for every week to reflect, acknowledge, and invest in yourself and find things that truly make you happy. For example, List #4 asks you to 'List the Things That Get You Out of Your Head' and once you've don't that she gives you a 'Take Action' suggestion for the week ahead such as; plan an hour this week to do one or a few of these things that put your mind at peace. There are also specific hashtags for the book so you can keep track of what others are doing with their 52 list- #52list #52HappyLists

2. | Water - OK, this probably seems like common sense BUT do you honestly drink enough water? Probably not. I know I don't. I do not take the time to get in the amount of H2O that I know my body needs to stay in tip-top shape. How many glasses have you had today? I can tell you, I filled my lovely white corckscile canteen with 36 oz of water at 8 am and I think so far I've downed maybe 8 oz of it, that’s waaaaaaaaay to little of an amount. It’s honestly crazy how little water we drink when pretty much 70% of our body is water. So I challenge you, for the next 30 days, everytime a kid needs a sippy cup filled up with water, pour a glass for yourself! I'm right there with you.

3. |  Mini Home Manicures - my girls love to have their nails painted, and yes I do roll my eye (on the inside) every time they ask because the 'waiting' to dry part is always the hardest for them. Cue the, "Is it dry yet?", "Hey mom, I think they are dry", "Can you check them now?" all with in the first 30 seconds after they are finished. But I digress, they love it and I love to see their pink, blue and purple little digits all brightly colored. Next time your painting those tiny nails take the time to paint your own, it's amazing the confidence boost that a fresh set of manicured nails can give a girl.

4.| Get Dressed - OK, another simple idea that probably seems silly but it the one thing I struggle with the most. I stay at home with the girls so our days and our schedules are pretty lax, we get up, we eat breakfast, we play, I tackle chores, we read, I drink coffee, we play, they make messes, I clean up the messes, and somewhere in all of that craziness I never seem to get myself dressed. Have you ever been in your PJs with spit up on your shirt, no bra, and hair that looks like I don't even know what and your door bell rings! Cue mass anxiety attack. Do I open the door? Do I pretend that I'm not home? Do I quickly run back to the bedroom and throw a huge sweater or robe on? Will they notice? This could all be avoided if I would take the time in the morning to just get myself dressed, you know, nothing crazy just basic and at least put together. I know I'll feel fresher, cleaner and even, confident to open the door if need be.    

5. | Music - This is the thing that I've let go the most since having kids. Music has always been an outlet for me, a chance to escape, relax your mind and just be in the moment. Music has the ability to lift your spirits and soothes your soul and no-- kidz bop or the frozen soundtrack does not count.

Here are a few from my current playlist:
Fire and Rain - James Taylor
King of My Heart - Sarah McMillan
When the Saints - Sara Groves
Unfinished - Mandisa
He Won't Go - Adele
Hey Baby - Trey Kenn
Hoping - X Ambassadors
Either Way - Chris Stapleton
Take a Shot - JoLivi
Broken Glass - Rachel Platten
All On My Mind - Anderson East
Don't Need Permission - Meg Mac
Fallin' - Jessica Mauboy
Sanctuary - Jake Wesley Rogers
Speak the Name - Koryn Hawthorne


So friends, find something simple or indulgent and treat yourself to some self-care.
Do it. I dare you.

xo - Tiffany


“The simplest things are often the truest.”
– Richard Bach

1 comment

Latest Instagrams

© Three Girls and a Farm. Design by FCD.