What is true self-care?

02 March 2020




I’m a tired mom of three young and energetic children. I get burnt out. I dream of running for the bathroom, locking the door and putting on a face mask every time my husband walks through the door. For years I’ve been trying every self-care tip out there. I’ve read the buzzword articles that pop up stating ‘The Best Self Care Tips for _____’. But yet, friends, my anxiousness still remains. My cup tends to still feel half full. I drink lavender mint tea before bed but still wake up feeling heavy. I tried a new skincare cream and while my face felt smoother the wrinkles on my soul remain. I graciously took the two free hours my husband gave me on a Sunday and bounded out of the door to get my nails dipped, and while my nails looked fresh my frazzled spirit still had me tethered me to the ground. Why is that? I'm practicing self-care so what is still missing?

One morning last weekend while driving with my children they were in the back arguing over who is the oldest child of the family— I mean, obviously that one isn’t up for debate but yet they still debate it. I was sitting there dreaming of quiet and a few minutes of rest for my bleeding ears. BAM! I had a lightbulb moment, well, a lightning rod straight from above! The Lord whispers to me— “If you need rest, then rest in Me.” Wow! Just wow. It’s not often that I’m still enough to hear his gentle nudges but that day my defenses must have been down just enough. My thoughts and my mind starting spinning. I kept coming back to a certain thought— maybe true self-care doesn’t come from something tangible but it comes from someone. What if Jesus didn’t intend self-care to be solely treating our physical selves to a new haircare line, manicures, massages, date nights, bubble baths, mimosa brunches, and Netflix binges? 

The idea of self-care is used today to sell products, promote businesses and tell us that something will breathe life into our weary souls, but honestly, Jesus is the only breath of life. He’s the only one who can mend our hearts and fill up our depleting cup so that it runneth over. Everything else is of the flesh, skin deep, never truly penetrating our lives and making a true difference. The feeling of instant gratification is fast and fleeting. It’s here and gone leaving our souls still craving more. I’m not saying we shouldn't rest or take care of ourselves. The bible tells us to rest. I'm not saying that we shouldn't do things that we enjoy or occasionally pamper our tired physical human bodies. I'm just pondering the fact that maybe, just maybe the reason we still feel deflated and defeated even after buying a fresh bouquet of tulips for our table is that we aren't also filling up our spiritual cup at the same time. 

What if true self-care is meant to be spending time in His word, praying, refreshing our soul with the Holy Spirit, and sustaining ourselves on his truth and faithfulness? I feel that I personally need to schedule a time to spend in the word, quiet time reading devotionals, holding the bible between my two hands, asking Him for a verse to be laid on my heart and cracking it open to read. What if self-care is asking the Holy Spirit to breathe it’s breath into our lungs so we can exhale the anxiousness and be filled with the comfort that we are loved truly and deeply— no matter what? The Holy Spirit and the Enemy both operate in the same realm, the Enemy wants us to believe that we need more self-care of the flesh but all we really need is to invite the Spirit into our houses, physically and spiritually. If we stay still and rest in that truth then maybe all of the anxiousness and self-doubt will melt away like the bath bomb in your tub. 

Lord knows that I'm as imperfect as they come. Like, painfully imperfect. We keep aimlessly searching for the comfort that only he can provide, the inner-peace that we can only get from him. When we go to him, fall before him, lay our troubles at his feet then he will respond. As we wash our faces and apply our face mask maybe we can picture him washing away our doubts. As we paint our nails maybe we can see him strengthen our defenses. Let him be the seaweed wrap of our life, to hold us and to keep us safely resting in His comfort.


 “Are you weary, carrying a heavy burden? Then come to me. I will refresh your life, for I am your oasis. Simply join your life with mine. Learn my ways and you’ll discover that I’m gentle, humble, easy to please. You will find refreshment and rest in me. For all that I require of you will be pleasant and easy to bear.”

 -- Matthew 11:28-30 (TPT)

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Three Girls and a Farm. Design by FCD.