Small Shop Feature | Teeny Weeny Toys

18 November 2017

Hello Friends!

I decided to start a new series of blog posts highlighting some of my favorite small shops. The first shop in this series that I'm going to share with you is Teeny Weeny Toys, they have a home base of Dubuque, Iowa. This is a husband and wife team, Kayla & Chisum-- they run a brick & mortar store as well as an online shop. Their shop features a wide array of classic wooden peg dolls, custom peg doll sets, wooden blocks, wooden stackers, wooden buses, firetrucks and lace up toys. They have also recently added Babylit books to their site! The classic princess set will be under our Christmas tree this year, no doubt. [Also, if you're  a Harry Potter fan you really need to check out this shop!]

The family behind the brand: 
Chisum is the wood worker and numbers guys, he grew up in Dubuque and spent 5 years in the US Marine Corps as a Weather Forecaster and then finished he business degree. He pours a lot of time into cutting out and sanding each piece of the toys, his favorite is the wooden car. Kayla is the artist and marketer for Teeny Weeny, she went from teaching preschool to forecasting the weather in the US Marine Corps to becoming a full time student, mom and small business owner. Kayla is passionate about early childhood development and raising creative and caring children. Kayla's favorite toy is the Rainbow Family color sorting set. They have two sweet children, Zoey and Charlie. Play is how children learn so it is their passion to creative toys to spark imagination with classic style to butter innate desire to play.


Mission Statement:
Teeny Weeny Toys are inspired by the basics with the goal of cultivation creative and imaginative play. Because we believe that play is the key to a better world.

|| Q&A ||

Why did you decide to start your small shop?
I started making wooden toys for my daughter as a creative outlet. I studied Early Childhood Education and have always loved the simplicity, beauty and nurturing qualities of wooden toys. Soon my friends and family were asking for toys and thats when I decided to try my hand at starting a small shop on Etsy.

How long have you been in business?
We have been in business for close to 3 years! The shop has grown to a website and now a brick & mortar location. Each time we take another step its like jumping off a really high diving board; you’re nervous and excited and slightly terrified-but you just have to take the chance.

How do you balance home life and running your store?
Honest answer- I don’t. I struggle every day with trying to balance all of the hats I wear and there are days I just cant hold it together. I want to be there for my kids and be the mom they need at this important part of their lives, but I also want to be an individual person. Im learning how to achieve this a little more every day.

Can you describe your customers?
My customers are intelligent and creative individuals who care a lot about the little ones in their lives.  I’m so happy when I get to meet them in person. The children we meet are just so full of life and imagination, you can tell they have a lot to give the world.


Below I'm going to list my top five favorite toys from Teeny Weeny Toys!
Enjoy and check out this sweet family and their shop.
one | two | three | four | five



2 comments

  1. This shop is so cute......I love their Mission Statement. Cool toys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WE LOVE TEENY WEENY TOYS at our preschool. The favorite items are the rainbow stackers and the color sorting pegs.

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Three Girls and a Farm. Design by FCD.